Rectoscopy is an endoscopy of rectum with a stiff, disposable tube.
Description of the examination:
The examination is performed in knee and elbow position. First stage includes anus observation, the second is a digital rectal exam and third – insertion of a tube into the rectum. During endoscopy rectal mucosa is assessed. Samples are taken from lesions.
- Bleeding from the anus
- Pain in anus area
- Defecation abnormalities
- Change of stool shape (pencil thin stools)
- Feeling urge to defecate
Contraindications for the examination:
- Suspicion of bowel perforation
- Severe disorders of heart and lungs;
- Blood coagulation disorders;
- Pregnancy from the 3rd month
- Lack of cooperation with the patient
Preparation for the examination
Enema should be performed 2-3 hours before the examination. Ready-made, disposable kits are available in the pharmacy over the counter. It is not recommended to take laxatives orally.