Cataract is a painless progressive clouding of the lens leading to a decrease in vision. Over half a million Poles live with cataract which should qualify them for the surgery.
The main risk factors of cataract development are:
- Old age
- Metabolic diseases, e.g. diabetes
- Thyroid gland diseases
- Connective tissue diseases
- Glaucoma or other eye diseases
- Previous ophthalmological procedures
- Injuries of the eyeballs
- Steroids taken chronically locally or generally
- Genetic Tests
- Intrauterine infections in foetal life
Methods of cataract treatment
The only effective method of treating cataract is surgery.
This procedure is called phacoemulsification and consists in crushing clouded lens, removal of fragments from the lens capsule and insertion of intraocular artificial lens into patient’s own lens capsule.
Cataract removal surgery
In the Damian Hospital, cataract surgeries are performed during one inpatient day with the use of disposable equipment and high quality materials protecting the eye during the procedure.
The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia and is painless.
The patient leaves the hospital a few hours after the surgery.
- On the first and seventh day after the surgery, the patient needs a post-surgery check-up.
- Custom pack is used for the surgery which mineralizes infection risk.
- During preparation for and after the surgery we use very high quality viscoelastics.
- Surgery method and post-operative care are in agreement with ESCRS procedures,
- Before and during the surgery, the patient is under professional anaesthesiological care.
- We offer comfortable conditions of operating and post-operative room.
- Post-operative care is provided till the end of the eye healing process.
- We virtually offer correction of every refractive disorders / short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism with toric lenses, additionally for patients willing to free themselves from eyeglasses we offer pseudo-accomodative lenses.
Cataract removal at the Damian Hospital:
- Quick qualification for the surgery,
- Adjusting the date of the surgery to the patient’s preferences,
- Modern and safe method of surgery,
- Better vision and stabilization of sharpness up to 4 weeks after the surgery
- The possibility to correct a sight defect during the surgery,
- The highest standards in preparation for the surgery, during the surgery and in post—operative care.
You can find out more about cataract removal and qualification for the surgery by calling +48 (22) 566 22 22.